FAQs - KrugerrandsI would like to buy Krugerrand coins.
- Krugerrands will only be made available for purchase to registered manufacturing jewellers for the use in the process of manufacturing jewellery pieces and to members of the South African Association of Numismatic Dealers (SAAND).
- Rand Refinery distributes its Krugerrand range of coins through authorised and approved International Dealers: Coins and Minted Bars and South African Dealers: Coins and Minted Bars.
- The price for Krugerrands is based on the gold content of the coin, plus a small premium to cover manufacturing and distribution costs.
- Krugerrands are not subject to VAT due its legal tender status.
- Any new customer would be required to complete Rand Refinery’s Application to Trade form for approval to transact with Rand Refinery. This application form can be requested from our CRM (see Contact Us for details).
Does the Krugerrand have a face value?
- No the Krugerrand does not have a face value. The value of the coin is based on the fine gold content as priced twice daily on the London market.
I am visiting South Africa and would like to buy a gold bar or Krugerrand. Can I take this out of the country – what is the procedure?
- Rand Refinery distributes its Krugerrand range of coins through authorised and approved International Dealers: Coins and Minted Bars.
- Gold bars are categorised as unwrought gold under the South African Precious Metals Act (visit www.dme.gov.za for more info on this legislation) and can therefore not be purchased in South Africa.