One of the largest single-site precious metals refining and smelting complexes in the world
We are not miners, we transform and add value to metals and people’s lives. We do this by adding value to the African economy by refining raw materials into valuable products by evaluating and recovering precious metals received.
Established by the Chamber of Mines of South Africa in 1920, Rand Refinery is one of the largest integrated single-site precious metals refining and smelting complex in the world.
Today, we continuously ensure that the change we facilitate to our raw materials return the greatest value for our suppliers and clients.
Integrated Annual Report: 2019
Integrated Annual Report: 2020
Integrated Annual Report: 2021
What We Offer
Our offering extends across the precious metals value chain and begins with world-class smelting, evaluation, refining and recovery of precious metals that have been responsibly sourced. From there, we fabricate a variety of products for investment and retail clients.
Recovery of low-grade precious metals and concentrates through the smelting processes for primary and secondary depositors through the expertise of sampling a wide variety of materials.
The Rand Refinery mark can be found on cast and minted bars and we can customise legal tender blank coins upon request.
Acting as an agent for our precious metals depositing customers, we also provide 24-hour turnaround assaying and state-of-the-art vault and logistics services.
our business pillars are:
- Regulatory Framework and Governance Processes
- Self Sufficient and Sustainable
- Creation of Value
- Delivery through People
Accreditations and Certifications
Foundations of Trust
has seen Rand Refinery receive global accreditation, international referee status and ISO certification.
London Bullion Market Association (LBMA)
1974 New York Commodities Exchange (COMEX)
Tokyo Commodities Exchange (TOCOM)
London Good Delivery silver bars to the London Metal Exchange (LME)
Shanghai Gold Exchange
2017 Global Precious Metal Code (LBMA)
2020 became members of the Singapore Bullion Market Association
We ensure that we run an integrated safety, health, environment, radiation and quality management system – constantly striving to create value for our customers while reducing the impact on the environment and ensuring the well-being of our people.
Good Delivery Referee
Rand Refinery has been appointed as one of only five internationally recognised referees by the LBMA, to assist LBMA in maintaining the good delivery system and its standards.
As a referee, Rand Refinery is globally recognised as:
- Setting the highest industry standards as a leading benchmark refinery, and the only one, in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Over 99 years of pure integrity and unquestionable ethics.
- Being undisputedly trustworthy and inspiring confidence in the market.
- Providing our long-standing customers with true peace of mind.
- Expertly advise the LBMA Executive on technical matters.
- Act as the Advisory Committee for Assaying and Refining Seminars
- Evaluate on Good Delivery list application
- Produce certified reference materials and reference components
- Participation in proficiency testing and pro-active monitoring